These are one of the most unique items of the Himalayan villages which is called as "Thulma" in their vernacular language.
1. They really keep one very warm because they are made in pure tibetan wool which are procured from the sheep living in the very high altitudes of the himalayan range
2. These do not absorb/retain moisture with usage hence they are the best product to help those who are suffering from artherities.
3. Hence, these can also be used in very cold countries where the temperature is always rising
4. They can be your best friends as they last really long - some are as old as 40-50 years
5. Each product is specially handwoven by women artisans in their villages as part of their daily routine, hence a true handmade product.
Additional to Chutka, this Thulma is a felted blanket. After weaving of the thulma on a handloom, it is kept at an angle of 45 degree over fire and is then rubbed on the front/upper side to give it a felting look. Thulma are much lighter than weight to chutka and can be used for moderate cold climates.