It is very refreshing in taste and aroma.
Lemon grass is a perennial plant that is native to India and Nepal; it has a light, lemony scent and flavor, with a hint of ginger. Lemon grass is one of the wondrous herbs; it is very useful as medicinal plant and a delicious food flavoring. Few knows that the other name of Lemon grass is citronella, a popular scent in perfume, candles and soaps. Citronella is known for its calming effect that relieves insomnia or stress. It is also popular as a mild insect repellant.
In a study that was conducted it has shown that every 100g of edible lemon grass, when boiled can contain up to 24.205 micrograms of beta-carotene the powerful anti-oxidant that scientist believe can help prevent cancer. In another study it has shown that lemon grass oil has the potential as topical eye medication against keratomycosis, an inflammation of cornea often associated with burning or blurring of vision. Researchers note that lemongrass oil's antioxidant qualities and ability to inhibit the enzyme that promotes the growth of cancer cells are promising.
Health Benefits of Lemon Grass:
- It contains an antibacterial and antifungal properties
- It helps to detoxify the liver, pancreas, kidney, bladder and the digestive tract.
- Helps boost the immune system
- Helps reduce uric acid, cholesterol, excess fats
- It helps alleviates indigestion and gastroenteritis.
- Helps improve the skin by reducing acne and pimples
- It helps tone the muscle and tissues.
- Helps in menstrual troubles
- Helps reduce blood pressure and improve blood circulation
- Helps reduce cellulite
- Act as sedative for the central nervous system.
- May help prevent colon cancer.
- Helps in reducing fevers
- Help in flatulence and colic
- Relieves arthritic pain and rheumatism