Morningstar’s TriStar MPPT solar controller with TrakStar Technology™ is an advanced maximum power point tracking (MPPT) battery charger for off-grid photovoltaic (PV) systems up to 3kW. The controller provides the industry’s highest peak efficiency of 99% and significantly less power loss compared to other MPPT controllers.
The TriStar MPPT features a smart tracking algorithm that maximizes the energy harvest from the PV by rapidly finding the solar array peak power point with extremely fast sweeping of the entire I-V curve. This product is the first PV controller to include on-board Ethernet for a fully web-enabled interface and includes up to 200 days of data logging.
Maximizes Energy Harvest
Our TrakStar MPPT Technology features:
• Better peak power point tracking than other MPPT controllers.
• Very fast sweeping of the entire I-V curve • Recognition of multiple power points during shading or mixed PV arrays.
• Excellent performance at sunrise and low solar insolation levels.
Extremely High Reliability
• Robust thermal design and no cooling fans
• Parallel circuit design provides less stress and longer life for electronic components
• No mechanical relays
• Extensive electronic protections including PV short circuit protection
• Epoxy encapsulated inductors and conformally coated printed circuit boards
Very High Efficiency
• Peak efficiency of 99%
• Proprietary tracking algorithm minimizes power losses
• Low self-consumption
• Continuous operation at full power to 45°C without need to de-rate
• Selected electronic devices with higher ratings to minimize losses from heating
Extensive Networking and Communications Capabilities
•Enables system monitoring, data logging and adjustability. Uses open standard MODBUS™ protocol and Morningstar’s MS View software.
• Meterbus: communications between compatible Morningstar products
• Serial RS-232: connection to a personal computer
• EIA-485: communications between multiple devices on a bus
• Ethernet: fully web-enabled interface to a local network or internet; view from a web browser or send email/text messages.
Nominal System Voltage
12, 24, 36 or 48 volts DC
Max. Solar Open Circuit Voltage
Battery Operating Voltage Range
8-72 volts DC
Transient Surge Protection
Maximum Battery Current
12 Volt 600 Watts
24 Volt 1200 Watts
48 Volt 2400 Watts
12 Volt 800 Watts
24 Volt 1600 Watts
48 Volt 3200 Watts