Cementitious mortar anti: roots, acid and petrol suitable for contact with drinking water, for waterproof concrete structures.
Waterproof Cement Mortar (WCM)
Pitturalia® WCM is a surface-applied, integral crystalline waterproofing material, which waterproofs and protects concrete in-depth. Pitturalia® WCM is an anti-roots mortar, suitable for contact with acid, petrol and drinking water, for waterproofing masonry and concrete structures. It consists of Portland cement, specially treated quartz sand and a compound of active chemicals. Pitturalia® WCM needs only to be mixed with water prior to application. When Pitturalia® WCM is applied to a concrete surface the active chemicals react with moisture and the by-products of cement hydration to cause a catalytic reaction which generates an insoluble, crystalline structure. These crystals fill the pores and minor shrinkage cracks in the concrete to prevent any further water ingress (even under pressure). However, the Pitturalia® WCM will still allow the passage of vapor through the structure (i.e. the concrete will be able to “breathe”). Even after the concrete has cured, Pitturalia® WCM remains dormant in the concrete and will reactivate in the presence of moisture to seal capillary tracts and hairline cracks. In addition to waterproofing the structure, Pitturalia® WCM protects concrete against seawater, wastewater, aggressive ground water and many other aggressive chemical solutions.
Pitturalia® WCM integral crystalline waterproofing can be applied to all structurally sound concrete – new or old. It may be applied to either the positive or negative sides of the concrete face. Typical areas of application are:
- Basement retaining walls
- Parking structures
- Concrete slabs (floor/roof/balcony, etc.)
- Tunnels and subway systems
- Construction joints
- Water retaining structures
- Underground vaults
- Swimming pools
- Sewage and water treatment plants
- Bridges, dams and roads
- Flower Basin
- Becomes an integral part of the concrete, forming a complete body of strength and durability; Pitturalia® WCM should not be confused with a coating or membrane
- Penetrates deeply and seals concrete’s capillary tracts and shrinkage cracks
- Can be applied from either the positive or negative side
- Waterproofing and chemical-resistance properties remain intact even if the surface is damaged
- Completely effective against high hydrostatic pressure
- More effective overall and less costly than hydrolytic membrane or clay panel systems
- Easy to apply, labor-cost effective
- Increases concrete’s compressive strength
- Cannot come apart at the seams, tear or be punctured
- Does not require protection during backfilling, placement of steel or wire mesh, and other common procedures
- Seals hairline and shrinkage cracks of up to 1/64” (0.4 mm) rather than merely masking or bridging them
- Resists chemical attack (pH 3-11 constant contact, pH 2-12 intermittent contact) and provides a range of protection from freeze/thaw cycles, aggressive subsoil waters, sea water, carbonates, chlorides, sulfates and nitrates
- Can be applied to moist or “green” concrete
- Protects embedded steel (reinforcing steel and wire mesh)
- Nontoxic. Approved for potable water applications (NSF 61)
All concrete to be treated with Pitturalia® WCM must be clean and have an “open” capillary surface. Remove laitance, dirt, grease, etc. by means of high pressure water jetting, wet sandblasting or wire brushing. Faulty concrete in the form of cracks, honeycombing, etc. must be chased out, treated with Pitturalia® WCM and filled flush with Pitturalia® Flexible Mortar. Surfaces must be carefully pre-watered prior to the Pitturalia® WCM application. The concrete surface must be damp but with no wet sheen on the surface.
Pitturalia® WCMis supplied in 20 Kg unit and should be mechanically mixed on site using clean containers. Slowly add the powder to the water and mix till obtain a creamy consistency or that resembling thick oil, using a slow speed drill fitted with a suitable paddle. Do not mix more material than can be used in 30 minutes and stir mixture frequently. If the mixture starts to set do not add more water, simply re-stir to restore workability.
5 parts Pitturalia® WCM to 2 parts water
3 parts Pitturalia® WCM to 1 part water
5 parts Pitturalia® WCM to 2.75-3.25 parts water
Slurry consistency: Apply Pitturalia® WCM in two or three coats according to specification by masonry brush or appropriate power spray equipment. Make sure the previous coat is sufficiently dry before applying the next one, In order to have perfect adhesion between the coats it is recommended not to exceed 24 hours, And for optimum result add 2L of liquid membrane SA 513 L to every 20 Kg Pitturalia® WCM.
Dry powder consistency (for horizontal surface only): The specified amount of Pitturalia® WCM is distributed in powder form through a sieve or a semi-mechanical barrow spreader and toweled into the freshly placed concrete once this has reached initial set.
- Vertical Surfaces:
- Two coats of Pitturalia® WCM at 1.25-1.5 lb/yd² (0.7-0.8 kg/m²) applied by brush or spray. Please contact your Pitturalia Representative for alternative application methods that may be applicable to your project and help to increase production.
- Horizontal Flatwork:
- Pitturalia® WCM at 2 lb/yd² (1.1 kg/m²) applied in two slurry coat to hardened concrete. Alternatively, Pitturalia® WCM can be drying sprinkled and trowel applied to fresh concrete when it has reached initial set.
- Construction joints:
- Pitturalia® WCM at 3 lb/yd² (1.6 kg/m²) applied in slurry or dry powder consistency immediately prior to placing the next lift/bay of concrete.
- Blinding concrete:
- Pitturalia® WCM at 2.5 lb/yd² (1.4 kg/m²) applied in slurry or dry powder consistency immediately prior to placing the overlying concrete slab.
- Pitturalia® WCM at 2 lb/yd² (1.1 kg/m²) applied in three slurry coat to hardened concrete. Alternatively, Pitturalia® WCM can be drying sprinkled and trowel applied to fresh concrete when it has reached initial set.
The treated areas should be kept damp for a period of five days and must be protected against direct sun, wind and frost, by covering with polyethylene sheeting, damp burlap or similar.
Do not apply Pitturalia® WCM at temperatures at or below freezing or to frozen or freezing surfaces. Pitturalia® WCM cannot be used as an additive to concrete or plasters.
Pitturalia® WCM is available in 20 kg bags onto a pallet of 1000 Kg. white or off-white powder or any other color as customer request.
Storage / Shelf Life:
When properly stored in a dry place in unopened and undamaged original packaging, shelf life is 12 months.
Safe Handling Information:
Pitturalia® WCM contains cement which is alkaline. Will irritate eyes and skin and may cause skin sensitization. Wear appropriate eye, skin and breathing protection when using this product. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. For further information please refer to Material Safety Data Sheet.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.