1) Expansion joints are low cost vibration and deflection absorption components in fluid conveyance pipelines.
2) The joints consist of two symmetrical connecting ends, either threaded unions for smaller nominal bores or flanged ends for larger nominal bore pipelines.
3) The body of the joint is essentially a robust rubber cylinder that is capable of absorbing vibration and movement in pipeline components.
4) Joints are often installed in-line with water pumps as the absorber of the operating vibration of the pump and movements due to pump start up, shut down.
5) Joints are also able to absorb axial displacement due to pipeline expansion and contraction, and lateral displacement and pipeline angularity.
Expansion joints may operate in pipelines or equipment to carry fluids or gases at elevated temperatures and pressure.
Precaution should be taken to insure proper installation and regular inspection.
Rubber Expansion Joints are widely used in industries such as Chemical, Fertilizer, Cement, Power, Steel Plants and so on. As they are effective in construction and excellent in movement, anti-vibration.
They are also designed to withstand pressure / vacuum applications, and to resist chemical corrosion and slurry abrasion. They are used to insulate against vibrations and noise from pumps of compressors.