Vermicompost is nothing but the excreta of earthworms, which is rich in humus and nutrients
Vermicompost is nothing but the excreta of earthworms, which is rich in humus and
nutrients. We can rear earthworms artificially in a brick tank or near the stem / trunk of
trees (specially horticultural trees). By feeding these earthworms with biomass and watching
properly the food (bio-mass) of earthworms, we can produce the required quantities of
Advantages of vermicompost:
1. Vermicompost is rich in all essential plant nutrients.
2. Provides excellent effect on overall plant growth, encourages the growth of new
shoots / leaves and improves the quality and shelf life of the produce.
Vermicompost is free flowing, easy to apply, handle and store and does not have bad
4. It improves soil structure, texture, aeration, and waterholding capacity and prevents
5. Vermicompost is rich in beneficial micro flora such as a fixers, P- solubilizers,
cellulose decomposing micro-flora etc in addition to improve soil environment.
6. Vermicompost contains earthworm cocoons and increases the population and
activity of earthworm in the soil.
7. It neutralizes the soil protection.
8. It prevents nutrient losses and increases the use efficiency of chemical fertilizers.
9. Vermicompost is free from pathogens, toxic elements, weed seeds etc.
10. Vermicompost minimizes the incidence of pest and diseases.
11. It enhances the decomposition of organic matter in soil.
12. It contains valuable vitamins, enzymes and hormones like auxins, gibberellins etc.